Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Jamaica- Part 1

Our honeymoon was in Negril, Jamaica at the all inclusive Couples Swept Away resort.  As soon as our wedding reception was over we took a limo to Kansas City to stay in a hotel for a quick hour and half nap and then had to be up at the airport at 4am, we flew out at 6am. 

Day 1- Sunday
We arrived in Montego Bay Jamaica around noon, and then had to take a 2hr bus ride to Negril.  The whole day flying did not bother me at all, I felt pretty good, I wasn’t going to eat but didn’t feel sick.  As soon as we got on the bus it took everything I had to not throw up.  I don’t normally get car sick but from already not feeling good and then adding in there crazy driving it about put me overboard.
Once we arrived we checked into our room, got unpacked and then decided to walk the resort to figure the place out.  While walking around we Luke stopped and ate at one of the restaurants, I had a few bites.  After dinner we went back to our room to go to bed.  Then I felt like I was being a bum because I still wasn’t feeling well so I suggested going to the pool.  Luke was all over it.  We stopped at the hot tub instead of the pool and I am pretty sure it was cooking my insides.  It made me feel worse.  It hurt to stand up.  We walked back to our room very slowly and I made myself get sick to try and feel better, which worked.   Then we went to bed.

Day 2- Monday
We woke up around 9:30am and headed to breakfast.  After breakfast we headed for a lazy day on the beach.  Luke and I had discussed previously that we wanted this vacation to be relaxing with no schedule.  We walked up the beach a couple miles to check out all the local shops.  Luke couldn’t wait to try all the local food including jerk chicken which Jamaica is known for.  Around 1pm a storm rolled in and started to rain.  We took cover under a bar hut and drank for a couple hours while the storm passed.  We got to socialize with the bartenders and other couples, we had a good time.  And I was finally starting to feel back to normal!  After the storm we went back to our room and showered up for dinner.  Our resort had 2 fancy places for dinner that you had to make a reservation for and then 3 walk in restaurants and 1 snack bar.  Dinner this night was at one of the fancy restaurants.  After dinner we walked the beach in the moonlight and then headed back for bed around midnight.

View looking out our room.


View looking outside in



Right outside our room- you can see the beach!





Our room was on the bottom



These were crabs that swam under us while floating on the beach.  You never stepped on them because they were to fast.


Floating!







Starfish under us when we were floating!






The storm that blew in


Ran under a bar hut to drink while it rained


Bartender making everyone at the bar shots


First "fancy" dinner



Day 3- Tuesday
I was feeling back to 100%! We went snorkeling through our resort a couple miles away from our beach.  Luke and I have been snorkeling in Cancun and already knew we wanted to go every day we were in Jamaica.  However after going this day we decided to not go again.  All of the coral is dead from a hurricane a few years back so everything was green and mossy looking.  There were a lot of fish but only about 5 different kinds.  Although fun, it was disappointing.  Around 2pm this day another rain storm came in.  We soon figured out that it rains everyday between 1-2pm for 1-2hrs and then the sun comes back out and seemed to cool it off.  At least it did every day we were there, I am sure it’s different each season.  When it rained we decided to go get our free couples massage given to use by the resort for our honeymoon.  It was amazing!  Later this day we met 2 other couples who flew down from back home that came to Jamaica to enjoy our honeymoon with us!  Luke and I are very social and friendly people, we plan most of “our” nights with our friends.  Don’t get me wrong we enjoy each other and have plenty of “us” time but we really enjoy being around other people too. 



Snorkeling










Fresh Coconut, anyone?  It wasn't sweet enough for me.



These crabs were everywhere after it rained.  Luke called them Doritos because they were orange and if you accidentally stepped on one they crunched.


Another rain storm


Dinner Time


Day 4- Wednesday
Luke had wanted to rent a hobie cat each day but when we would try to rent it the storm would blow in and then we couldn’t do it.  They only allowed you to rent it at 10am or 2pm.  So this day instead of trying at 2pm we decided to try 10am.  This worked and Luke was in heaven, this kind of thing is his thing.  After blowing all over the ocean we went back in and decided to float and relax a little more.  While relaxing on the beach we had several local bands come by and sing to us.  They were all great!  That afternoon we decided to go on a catamaran cruise provided by our resort.  We got on this boat and went up the coast about 30 min to Ricks Café to see local cliff divers.  We then turned around and headed back.  About half way back we stopped and swam in some caves.  The whole boat ride they served some amazing rum punch which I had more than my fair share.  I say this because had I not been intoxicated this probably isn’t something I would have normally done.  Although I am so glad I did it because I had a blast and was definitely a highlight of the trip.  When we got back we showered up and headed to our second “fancy” dinner.  After the dinner was over we went to a couples bon fire on the beach put together by the resort.  It was lame.  The bon fire stayed lit for maybe 5 min and the person singing was singing all slow dance songs.  Sure it was romantic for about the first 3 songs and then we all wanted to fall asleep, which is what we did.  We all went back to our rooms and called it a night. 

Our Hobie Cat 


My Captain!




This is how we held on to each other so we wouldn't float away





Catamaran Cruise 



Ricks Cafe- Rated top 10 bars in the world




Cave Swimming




Our friends who went with us



In the cave we go!




Our group in the cave



Out we go


Looking out the cave


That is the hole we swam out of



Jamaican coast on the way back


Lounging on the way back






Sunset on the way back



At the Bon Fire


5 min of flame




…..{to be continued}
post signature

2 comments:

  1. What a fabulous honeymoon--I'm so glad you finally got to feeling better! I really wish my husband and I would have gone to an all-inclusive resort for our honeymoon (we wound up going to California which was a blast but we didn't get much down time--we were always on the go!) because they always sound so fun and relaxing! Nice to meet a fellow KS blogger! I'm up in Hays :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great honeymoon! I am jealous to say the least.. I love the little crabs they are too cute & not gonna lie I even love that cute little starfish.. Glad you all enjoyed it cannot wait to see & hear more :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...